Birthstones Jewelry And Their Meanings- By Letrém
You may have heard about birthstones but you might not know the fascinating history behind these beautiful gems. This popular trend has connections in ancient times, people have long believed different stones have different powers. Nowadays people choose gems for engagement rings according to their astrological sign or charm bracelets with a birthstone to represent each of their children.
The origins of this tradition come all the way from biblical times. The high priest of the temple of Jerusalem wore a bejeweled breastplate incrusted with twelve precious stones said representing the twelve tribes of Israel. The stones were not only meant to symbolize the different tribes but were rumored to have magical powers and advise leaders what actions to take.
In the first century AD, the historian Josephus, chronicling the roman occupation and the last days of the kingdom of Israel, described the breastplate and believed the twelve stones were related to the twelve months of the year and the zodiac signs according to Roman pagan traditions.
In Hindu tradition, nine gems were assigned to nine planets of the solar system beginning with Ruby for the sun, Pearl for the moon etc. The precious stones were incrusted in jewelry and according to their position and arrangement on the body brought health benefits and good fortune.
The modern list of birthstone is comprised of stones that are historically associated with the each month and hold special meanings. No matter when your birthday falls, you can chose from these beautiful stones according to their power and meaning.
Birthstone Jewelry - Each Month & It Meaning
- January – Garnet – this beautiful deep red stone is thought to keep the wearer safe, especially during travel.
- February – Amethyst's purple shades stand for wisdom, ancient Greeks believed it would protect you from intoxication.
- March – Aquamarine's blueish color remind us of the sea and fittingly embodies serenity, sailors wore them to protect themselves from the dangers of the ocean.
- April – Diamond, the most famous of all precious stones stand for strength and courage of course.
- May – Emerald's deep green color was a favorite of ancient Romans and now symbolizes hope.
- June- Pearls were believed by the ancient Greeks to be the hardened tears of the goddess Aphrodite and symbolize love.
- July – Regarded by the Hindus is the king of gems Rudy signifies vitality and passion.
- August – Peridot stands for beauty and was once believed to protect the wearer from nightmares.
- September – The deep blue Sapphire represents honesty and truth.
- October – Tourmaline is thought to heal emotional distress and anxiety.
- November – Golden Topaz has been associated with the sun and symbolizes joy.
- December – Turquoise is a symbol of friendship and creativity.
Birthstones Jewelry - Stones and Signs
In addition to your birth month you can find a gemstone for your western astrological sign.
The stone is said to channel the energy of the constellations.
- Aquarius – Garnet
- Pisces – Amethyst
- Aries – Bloodstone
- Taurus – Sapphire
- Gemini – Agate
- Caner – Emerald
- Leo – Onyx
- Virgo – Carnelian
- Libra – Peridot
- Scorpio – Topaz
- Sagittarius – Turquoise
- Capricorn – Ruby
There are many traditions and meaning to choose from, so next time you think about buying a present for a friend or loved one (or for yourself) why not find out what their birthstone is?